Humint Events Online: Sad News

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Sad News

"Nolo contendere" of the Piglipstick blog has passed away. I did enjoy his site quite a bit over the years.

As to the last post, about going away from the obnoxious TSA, it's worth noting that the reason the TSA was set up in the first place, was due to 9/11, and the fear that private security companies did not have uniform standards and could be corrupted. So getting rid of the TSA isn't necessarily the solution. The solution is to have better rules and guidelines, so they don't act like fucking obnoxious gestapo assholes.

I should note that I fly regularly and have never had any issue with the TSA, and often they are fairly pleasant to me. Nor have I seen them harrass anyone around me. Of course, the TSA has done some ridiculously obnoxious/horrible things, but I suspect that the few bad apples are highly publicized in part because the GOP has always disliked the fact that the TSA is a unionized work-force. So I think there is a bit of propaganda at play here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...


TSA is a huge, colossal example of
corporate welfare.

8:33 PM  
Blogger spooked said...

corporate welfare? It's a government agency!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


"Shortly after beginning as TSA Administrator, I directed a full review of TSA policies with the goal of helping the agency evolve into a more agile, high-performing organization that can meet the security threats of today and the future. As part of that review, I examined the contractor screening program and decided not to expand the program beyond the current 16 airports as I do not see any clear or substantial advantage to do so at this time. The airports that currently use contractor screening will continue to be regulated by TSA and required to meet our high security standards."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dr-gridlock/2011/02/tsa_just_say_no_to_contractors.html

I suppose I exggerated with the "huge, colossal" descriptors. But they all certainly make significant purchases from private companies, and private companies continue to push for more private firms to participate in TSA programs.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger